Re: RelationBuildDesc Notice (corrupt DB?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RelationBuildDesc Notice (corrupt DB?)
Date
List pgsql-general
"Tony Harper" <trharper5@yahoo.com> writes:
> So in summary....the second time I got the RelationBuildDesc
> notice/pg_statistic missing was... when I took a empty database, inserted
> about 180 artists, 300 albums, and 4261 tracks, dropped the sequence,
> created the same sequence with a high starting value.  After recreating the
> sequence successfully, I wanted to stop the postmaster and reboot, so I
> issued a pg_ctl -D thedirectory stop    Usually this happened pretty fast,
> but this time it took about 30-45 seconds.  I then rebooted.  When I tried a
> pg_ctl start I got the errors that I posted.

AFAICS you haven't done anything particularly strange (although your
habit of rebooting every time you turn around seems pretty odd to an
old Unix hand ;-) ... that's really not necessary, nor is stopping and
restarting Postgres a useful exercise in my opinion).

I frankly suspect hardware problems.  You should try some testing with
memtest86 and badblocks to see if they turn up anything in the way of
flaky RAM or disk drive respectively.

            regards, tom lane