Re: index speed and failed expectations? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: index speed and failed expectations?
Date
List pgsql-general

> > However, if you limit the number of rows enough, you
> might force it
> > to use an index:
> >
> > select * from stats order by start_time limit 1000;
> >

> Thanks! Since LIMIT/OFFSET is the typical usage pattern for
> a paginated
> data set accessed from the Web (which is my case), it
> immediately
> becomes a non-issue.

We do a lot of queries with order by limit n, and from my experience setting enable_sort to off on the database also
makesa massive difference.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/indexes-ordering.html

Not happy with your email address?.
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html