Re: [ADMIN] Excessive growth of pg_attribute and other system tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [ADMIN] Excessive growth of pg_attribute and other system tables
Date
Re: [ADMIN] Excessive growth of pg_attribute and other system tables  ("Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> writes:
> On Monday 21 March 2005 11:40 am, Tom Lane wrote:
>> However, given that there are 9334 tuples in 82282 pages, I'd say
>> that autovacuum has already failed Steve rather badly :-(.  There
>> shouldn't be more than a couple hundred pages given that number of
>> rows.  Perhaps the FSM settings are too small?

> Results time. FSM settings were too small but the real problem seems
> to be that pg_autovacuum isn't getting the job done.

The light just went on ... system catalog updates don't generate
statistics reports.  Hence, autovacuum doesn't know any work is needed.

Should we fix that, or change autovacuum to special-case the system
catalogs somehow, or ???