Re: [HACKERS] More thoughts about FE/BE protocol - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] More thoughts about FE/BE protocol
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Bruce Badger <bruce_badger@badgerse.com> writes:
> Is SYNC going to be a new kind of message?  Is the SYNC response yet
> another?

Yes; no.  SYNC response already exists: it's ReadyForQuery (Z).

> Either way, could this be used as a keep-alive for long-lived
> connections?  (some users of the current Smalltalk drivers report that
> long lived connections over the Internet sometimes just die)

If you're worried about that, Q with an empty query already suffices,
though SYNC will work too.

I'd be inclined to think that such breakage isn't our problem though;
anyone suffering from it needs to fix their firewall timeouts ...

> Also, with the new protocol, will the number of affected rows be
> returned in a way that does not require parsing to fish it out?

I'm not planning to change the contents of messages more than I have to.
What's so hard about parsing "UPDATE nnn" ?
        regards, tom lane