character varying and varchar - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From novnov
Subject character varying and varchar
Date
List pgadmin-support
When 1.6 seems to have dropped varchar in favor of character varying.
Shouldn't this be an option as opposed to an enforced behavior? I've read a
little on the list about the change, but the problem is some packages I'm
working with don't recognize character varying. Maybe that will change over
time but in the meantime it's a change that does not help.

It's kind of weird too - if I create a varchar field with pgAdmin III 1.4.2
(windows), it's reported as varchar, including the ALTER TABLE statements
for the col; but if I view the same table in pgAdmin 1.6, it's reported as
character varying, even in the SQL?