Re: Confusing message on startup after a crash while recovering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Confusing message on startup after a crash while recovering
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org> writes:
> I'd suggest that the text is changed to something along the line of:
> "database system was interrupted while in recovery at ...
> If this has occurred more than once some data may be corrupted and
> you may need to restore from the last backup."

It seems the real problem is that it's not specifying *which* data is
probably corrupted.  Maybe:

HINT: If recovery fails repeatedly, it probably means that the recovery log
data is corrupted; you may have to restore from your last full backup.

Also, do we want to suggest use of pg_resetxlog in the message?