Re: Rekall for Free - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bob
Subject Re: Rekall for Free
Date
List pgsql-general
I can't wait!

On 5/11/05, John Dean <john@totalrekall.co.uk> wrote:
Hi
This is my first post to this mailing list. I would like all list members
that I am the same person who used to work for MySQL AB. Even though I
worked for MySQL AB, PostgreSQL has always been my RDBMS of choice. The
reason for telling you all about about my involvement with MySQL is because
I do not want anybody to think that I have joined this mailing list to be
disruptive or the sing the praises of MySQL. On the contrary, I have joined
this list to help users get the best out of PG and to answer questions
relating to PG/Rekall issues.

The first point I would like to raise, relates to something I came across
in the archive, with the subject line "free WINDOWS rekall". Shortly,
before Chris Green posted his reply to the original post made by
Typing80wpm@aol.com, Mike Richardson( Rekall GPL at www.rekallrevealed.org
) and myself ( Rekall commercial binary distros at www.totalrekall.co.uk )
made the decision to give away old versions of Rekall. All Rekall V2.1.1
releases are now available for free download. The only stipulation is that
users register with the TotalRekall web site. The reason I ask this is
because occasionally I will send a bulk email notifying everybody of new
releases ( free, GPL and commercial ) . I do this may be 3 or 4 times per year.

The second point I would like to raise, concerns our relationship with
theKompany.com (TKC). The simple answer to this point is that we have no
relationship with TKC. At the time of the parting of the ways we made an
announcement to the affect that we would offer Rekall users, who had bought
Rekall from TKC, the opportunity to switch over to us for free. This offer
was limited to 12 months, which has since expired. We said at the time that
we would not provide support or maintenance to TKC customers unless they
switched over to us. TKC still continue to sell Rekall V2.1.x, which we
offer as a free download, and since Shawn Gordon has very limited
technically ability, he will not be able to provide much in the way of
technical support. He certainly will not be able to provide maintenance
releases, or new releases. TKC is selling an old out of date release for
$69, whereas we sell Rekall for £25 ( approx $45 ). We are thinking about
offering 3 editions - Standard, Professional and Enterprise. I will say
more about that once we have decided how best to do this and how we much we
are going to charge. What I can say is that we are working on some pretty
cool enhancements to Rekall, which will allow us to split the basic package
into 3 separate editions. The one enhancement which excite us most (at the
moment) is Rekall/WEB. If you want to know more about Rekall/WEB take a
look at the FAQs on http://www.totalrekall.co.uk .

One thing we have been thinking about for a long time is offering ready to
use Rekall applications, which we will sell at a fraction of the price of
similar types of applications. In addition, providing there is sufficient
interest we would like to produce a totally PG oriented version of Rekall.
If we did that we could include all the administrative feature of PG and
lots more

---

Regards
John Dean,