Re: Speed Question - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Noah Silverman
Subject Re: Speed Question
Date
List pgsql-performance
Thanks for the help.  We've been using MySQL for the last 4 years, so
PgSQL is a whole new world for me.  Lots to learn

Actually the "real world" test we are performing is an exact
duplication of our intended use.  Without divulging too many company
secrets, we create a 32 key profile of an object.  We then have to be
able to search the database to  find "similar" objects.  In reality, we
will probably have 20MM to 30MM rows in our table.  I need to very
quickly find the matching records on a "test" object.

If you're really curious as to more details, let me know (I don't want
to bore the group with our specifics)

Since this machine is solely a database server, I want to utilize a ton
of RAM to help things along.  Probably at lease 1.5 Gigs worth.  I
guess my next step is to try and figure out what all the various memory
settings are and where to set them.

Thanks,

-N