Re: --with-tcl build on AIX (and others) fails - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: --with-tcl build on AIX (and others) fails
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> The current version of pl/tcl/Makefile fails to build on some platforms,
> e.g. that use a packaged version of tcl that was built with a now
> unavailable compiler or that need an exports file to build shlibs.
> The patch simplifies this Makefile considerably.

I don't think we dare risk a wholesale change in the way pltcl is built
for 7.2.  We're already through the ports testing process for 7.2, and
I don't want to start it over again.

This does look like the direction to go in for 7.3, however.  (I think
Peter had already muttered something about getting rid of the existing
pltcl build process in favor of using Makefile.shlib.)

As for the libpgtcl part of the patch, I don't understand why the Tcl
library should be linked into libpgtcl.  libpgtcl is supposed to be
loaded into a Tcl interpreter, not carry its own interpreter along with
it; but it sure looks like that's what will happen with this patch.