Re: It's party time : PostgreSQL 8.0 party! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dawid Kuroczko
Subject Re: It's party time : PostgreSQL 8.0 party!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 01:47:49 +0200 (EET), Devrim GUNDUZ
<devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
> Tonite, after meeting with more than 45 people in Ankara (capital city of
> Turkey) for Firefox 1.0, I think that we can organize the same party
> series for PostgreSQL 8.0.
>
> * There are high-populated PostgreSQL users in some areas of the world.
> See http://pugs.postgresql.org/ . We can organize the party on that ares
> easily.
>
> * Also, on other areas, we can work with Linux Users Communities for a
> PostgreSQL party. I'll do that in Turkey, with Turkish Linux Users' Group
> (www.linux.org.tr).
>
> I also plan to give all people PostgreSQL CD's , in which
>   - Source Code for 8.0
>   - RPMs for 8.0
>   - Drivers
>   - Docs
>
> will be, so that we can make more people use PostgreSQL.
>
> What do you think about this? As soon as the core committe announces the
> official release date, we can begin working on parties.
>
> Comments? :)

I think its quite nice idea, we'll try to do it something like this
within our CLUG (Cracow LUG), but maybe a bit differently,
I mean -- free lecture about PostgreSQL 8 done ASAP after
the release.

The problem with Firefox is that it is a browser, a great browser
nonetheless, but still a browser.  Most people will use it just
to browse pages, so there is not much that general public
would like to learn...  PostgreSQL then... there is a lot of
to learn, a lot of.  So, I think what you want most when
advocating PgSQL is not "here, have a CD and try i your
self" but rather "see, it can do this, and do this, and do this,
so you didn't know SQL can do this? Someone did you an
ill favour. Now, take the CD and try it yourself". :-)

   Regards,
      Dawid