Re: 'pg_ctl restart' does not terminate - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: 'pg_ctl restart' does not terminate
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/26/2016 07:15 AM, twoflower wrote:
> I am restarting the server using the following:
>
> su postgres -c "/usr/lib/postgresql/9.6/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.6/main -o '-c
config_file=/etc/postgresql/9.6/main/postgresql.conf'restart"

> The server is restarted properly, but the the command never finishes.
> After the restart, it displays the server's logfile. Is this intended?

Do have logging set up in postgresql.conf to go to a file?

Even if you do have logging set to go to a file you will probably see a
couple of lines telling you it is redirecting to the file.

You also specify a log file to pg_ctl  by using -l:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/app-pg-ctl.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com