problem in installing pgsql-8.3.1 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From shohorab hossain
Subject problem in installing pgsql-8.3.1
Date
List pgsql-admin
Dear sir/madam,

This is to inform you that I am an oracle database user/administrator. But I am going to join in a company where I have
toadministrate postgresql database. I am new to this database system.  For few days I am trying to install
postgresql-8.3.1in RHEL4. My machine configuration is Intel Pentium IV. I have followed the installation document of
postgresqlthat was included with source distribution.

I am facing the problem during the building step of source. The problem is that when I start building with gmake
command,it continuously shows messages in console like ‘checking for …………. yes / no’ and I have waited approximately
for3 hours but it continues.  At last I have cancelled the building process.

Please give me your appropriate and valuable solution in this regard. I am eagerly looking forward for your quick
reply.

Thanks in advance:
Hopeless
Shohorab