Re: [Patch] Add missing libraries to Libs.private of libpq.pc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [Patch] Add missing libraries to Libs.private of libpq.pc
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Sandro Mani <manisandro@gmail.com> writes:
> The following patch, which we added to build mingw-postgresql on Fedora,
> adds some missing libraries to Libs.private of libpq.pc, discovered when
> attempting to statically link with libpq:

TBH, I think we should just reject this patch.  We do not encourage or
support statically linking libpq (and I thought that was against
distro-level policies in Fedora, as well --- such policies certainly
existed when I worked for Red Hat).  Moreover, the proposed patch
requires us to absorb assumptions about the dependencies of external
libraries that we really shouldn't be making.  I fear that it risks
causing new problems on other platforms, or at the very least
unnecessarily bloating libpq's dependency footprint.  In particular,
creating a hard dependency on -liconv regardless of build options
seems right out.