Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Opinion poll: Sending an automated email to a thread when it gets added to the commitfest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org> writes:
> On 15.08.24 19:25, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
>> Apart from the above issue, I'm -0.5 on what to me equates with
>> automated spam to -hackers: the volume of mails would put this around
>> the 16th most common sender on -hackers, with about 400 mails/year
>> (based on 80 new patches for next CF, and 5 CFs/year, combined with
>> Robert's 2023 statistics at [0]).

> Yeah, I'd rather not open the can of worms that we send automated emails
> to this list at all.  If we do this, then there will be other requests,
> and why this one and not that one.  If people want to get emails from
> the commitfest app, it should be that you subscribe there and it sends
> those emails to those who want them.

That would destroy the one good argument for this, which was to
provide an easy way to get from a mail list thread (in the archives)
to the corresponding CF entry or entries.  You pull up the "flat"
thread, search for the bot mail, and click the link.  Without that
I see little point at all.

However, there are other ways to accomplish that.  I liked the
suggestion of extending the CF webapp with a way to search for entries
mentioning a particular mail message ID.  I dunno how hard it'd be to
get it to recognize *any* message-ID from a thread, but surely at
least the head message ought not be too hard to match.