Re: file-system snapshot under freebsd for backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From ProAce
Subject Re: file-system snapshot under freebsd for backup
Date
List pgsql-general
The size of my db is more then 50GB , so I consider that the pg_dump
is not a good backup tool for me.
And, sometimes, I need query data which is some days ago ( between 1 ~
14 days ).

If I want to transfer my db to different PG version, I will use slony-I.  :)

I worried that mksnap_ffs spend much time on making a new snapshot.
I don't know whether PG work very well during the period of making snapshot.
Or the snapshot be made successfully when the PG execute / commit sql
statments continuously.

2007/8/2, Naz Gassiep <naz@mira.net>:
> Have you considered using pg_dump to backup your databases? Taking
> file-level snapshots is not recommended as you may want/need to restore to a
> different version of PG that is not binary compatible with the snapshot
> you've taken.
> Regards,
> - Naz.
>

> ProAce wrote:
> I already put the data directory on hds san storage, but there is
> no
snapshot license on it.
Could I use mksnap_ffs under freebsd to make

TIP 6: explain