Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] Crash report for some ICU-52 (debian8) COLLATE and work_mem values
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 11:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Maybe, if people are okay with a catversion bump this late, we could
>> push the ICU descriptions into pg_collation proper, but I think it
>> would be fine to leave pg_import_system_collations's behavior in that
>> regard alone for v10, too.

> I really think we should add a pg_collation column to store ICU's
> description of the collation, because that's something that we'll have
> to live with forever.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't think there would be anything
terribly disastrous about having pg_import_system_collations() install
these descriptions as comments in v10 and then changing it to put them
directly into pg_collation in later versions.  We'd have to adapt the
behavior of psql's \dO, but that's true no matter when we change that.

> I don't think we have pg_import_system_collations's behavior all
> worked out just yet.

Agreed, but we can probably tweak that without forcing a catversion
bump.