Re: newbie question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joris Dobbelsteen
Subject Re: newbie question
Date
List pgsql-general

That's not a question for me, but rather for the people who spend a lot
of time creating this excellent database server.

Nevertheless, given that it:

* significantly complicates the software
* might hinder (some) new features to be implemented
* there is little demand, hence nobody is willing to spend the
incredible amount of time on programming & maintenance
* Binary format already differs between different processor
architectures/compliations
* the SQL interface itself already shouldn't change (so from the
application point of view)

I would say that such a feature is highly unlikely that it will be added
in the foreseeable future.

A more likely feature is inplace/live (whatever you call it) upgrades of
the data to a newer version.

- Joris