tips and suggestions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Johnson, Shaunn
Subject tips and suggestions
Date
List pgsql-general

Howdy:

Would like to know if anyone else is running their database
on an Intel box.  I currently have a P3 1.12 GHz proc with
1 gig of memory running RedHat Linux and would like to move
it to a better box.  Actually, I was looking at Price Watch and
got the idea because the mobo and procs were ridiculously
cheap.

I am interested in some configuration tips for maybe, multiple
procs and OS distro versions that work for a client base
of about 400 - 600 users (most of this is web / DB traffic,
only about 30 or so actually builds tables, runs complex
queries, etc).

Other than getting, say some Dec Alphas and making something
useful, are there any cost effective suggestions out there?

Thanks!

-X