Re: Fast logical replication jump start with PG 10 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Fast logical replication jump start with PG 10
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/25/2018 02:12 PM, Olivier Gautherot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just sent the question on StackOverflow but realized that this
> audience may be more savvy. So sorry in advance for cross-posting...
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading a PG from 9.2 to 10.4. pg_upgrade worked
> fine on the master and was rather fast. The problem is that the database
> is replicated and I'm planning to switch from streaming to logical. The
> problem is that it is rather slow (30 minutes for the master and over 3
> hours for the replication, between data transfer and indexes).

I am not clear on what you did, so can you clarify the following:

1) pg_upgrade from 9.2 master instance to 10.4 master instance, correct?

2) What replication are you talking about for the 3 hour value?

3) What is the 30 minute value referring to?

4) When you say database are you talking about a Postgres cluster or a
database in the cluster?

> Is there a way to speed up the replication or should I rather stick to
> streaming replication? As I have only 1 database on the server, it would
> not be a show-stopper.

See 4) above, but if you are talking about a single database in a
cluster streaming replication will not work for that.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com