Re: Hot standby, recent changes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Hot standby, recent changes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Le 6 déc. 2009 à 23:26, Robert Haas a écrit :
>>> Consider this scenario:
>>>
>>> 0. You have a master and a standby configured properly, and up and running.
>>> 1. You shut down master for some reason.
>>> 2. You restart standby. For some reason. Maybe by accident, or you want
>>> to upgrade minor version or whatever.
>>> 3. Standby won't accept connections until the master is started too.
>>> Admin says "WTF?"
>>
>> I would rather document it as a known caveat and be done.

+1

> For what it's worth, this doesn't seem particularly unlikely or
> unusual to me.

I'm sorry to have to disagree here. Shutting down the master in my book means you're upgrading it, minor or major or
thebox under it. It's not a frequent event. More frequent than a crash but still.

Now the master is offline, you have a standby, and you're restarting it too, but you don't mean that as a switchover.
I'mwith Simon here, the WTF is "are you in search of trouble?" more than anything else. I don't think shutting down the
standbywhile the master is offline is considered as a good practice if your goal is HA...

Regards,
--
dim