Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: narwhal and PGDLLIMPORT
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> writes:
> Also as per below link, it seems that PGDLLIMPORT is required for
> exported global variables.
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8fskxacy(v=vs.80).aspx

That was what we'd always assumed, but the fact that postgres_fdw has been
working for the last year (on everything except narwhal) puts the lie to
that as a blanket assumption.

So what I want to know now is how come it wasn't failing; because then
we might be able to exploit that to eliminate the need for the PGDLLIMPORT
cruft everywhere.  I've never been a fan of the fact that Windows insists
on its own private set of global symbol visibility rules.  If we can make
that build work more like other platforms, it'll be a step forward IMO.