Leverage your PostgreSQL V8.1 skills to learn DB2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Harding
Subject Leverage your PostgreSQL V8.1 skills to learn DB2
Date
List pgsql-general
This is interesting.

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/library/techarticle/dm-0603wasserman2/

There are a few bugs

1.  In the graphic overview PostgreSQL == Progres
2.  In description of PostgreSQL database cluster, "After
initialization, a database cluster contains a database called
postgres, which is a default database used by utilities, users and
third party applications. "  That doesn't seem to be necessarily true.
 I don't have that database....
3.  He misses the fact that some configuration options can be set
interactively via SET
4.  "The VACUUM command must be run on a regular basis to recover disk
space occupied by updated or deleted rows and to update data
statistics used by the PostgreSQL query planner. " with no mention of
autovacuum.  He is talking about 8.1.

Every time I learn about a big commercial database I am amazed at how
much 'bigger' and more complicated than PostgreSQL they are - I guess
they have to be for their intended use - and how similar to PostgreSQL
they are in actual function.