Re: Configuration tips for very large database - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Graeme B. Bell
Subject Re: Configuration tips for very large database
Date
List pgsql-performance

> Hi Nico,
>
> No one has mentioned the elephant in the room, but a database can
> be very I/O intensive and you may not be getting the performance
> you need from your virtual disk running on your VMware disk subsystem.
> What do IOmeter or other disk performance evaluation software report?
>
> Regards,
> Ken

Anecdatum:

Moving from a contended VMware hard-disk based filesystem running over the network, to a bare metal RAID10 SSD,
resultedin many DB operations running 20-30x faster.

Table sizes circa 10-20G, millions of rows.

Graeme.