Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Responses Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
>> I think you're getting way too hung up on the fact that the proposed
>> auto.conf will be stored as a flat file.  From your comments upthread,
>> I gather that you'd be rejoicing if it were a table.

> I'd be happy if it was a table which managed an *independent* set of
> parameters from those used to bootstrap the system, but no one seems to
> like breaking up the options between "things that can be sanely modified
> without other OS changes" and "things which require OS support".

I agree with Robert's comments upthread that if the new facility can't do
everything that can be done today by editing postgresql.conf, it's not
going to be adequate.  So I'm not in favor of having two sets of
parameters.  It's also not clear to me that we can make a reliable
distinction between parameters that can prevent a server restart vs those
that can't; or at least, the set of the latter will be much smaller than
one could wish.