Re: Postgresql 7.1 dying on Debian Woody - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgresql 7.1 dying on Debian Woody
Date
List pgsql-admin
Johann Spies <jspies@maties.sun.ac.za> writes:
> I happened yesterday while I was running a script copying about 58000
> entries to a table and I can not get it going again.  From
> /var/log/postgres.log:
> The Data Base System is starting up
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 12953 exited with
> status 512 - abort
> /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster: Startup proc 13036 exited with
> status 512 - abort

Very strange.  If the startup process detects a problem, it should write
some kind of error message to the log before aborting.  Are you getting
a core dump file in the $PGDATA directory?

One thing I'd suggest immediately is to update to 7.1.2 and see if the
behavior changes.

            regards, tom lane