Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Vivek Khera
Subject Re: Opteron vs Xeon (Was: What to do with 6 disks?)
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Apr 20, 2005, at 12:40 AM, Jeff Frost wrote:

> I've seen quite a few folks touting the Opteron as 2.5x faster with
> postgres than a Xeon box.  What makes the Opteron so quick?  Is it
> that Postgres really prefers to run in 64-bit mode?

The I/O path on the opterons seems to be much faster, and having 64-bit
all the way to the disk controller helps...  just be sure to run a
64-bit version of your OS.

Vivek Khera, Ph.D.
+1-301-869-4449 x806

Attachment