Re: postgresql bug - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory S. Williamson
Subject Re: postgresql bug
Date
List pgsql-general
Best to always use the list as a resource, not individuals (since a person such as yourself would then be able to find
thelatest related issues when doing a web-search). I've cc-ed the general list on principle.

The error I got had to do with a failing disk in a linux system. I have no clues about windows operations, but other
postershave indicated that excluding postgres from virus scanners is A Good Thing, but as I say I don't do windows,
really.

Greg Williamson
DBA
GlobeXplorer LLC

-----Original Message-----
From:    Wyatt Tellis [mailto:wyatt.tellis@radiology.ucsf.edu]
Sent:    Mon 11/27/2006 4:27 PM
To:    Mark Leet; Gregory S. Williamson; wtellis@radiology.ucsf.edu
Subject:    Re: postgresql bug

Hi Mark,

It seems our problem was our Legato/EMC Networker backup process. Due to an incorrect exclusion directive, it was
lockingthe data files during the nightly backup. I suspect this is similar to what you're experiencing. I haven't tried
filinga bug report. One of the responses to my post suggested I switch to a "real OS" like Linux, so I wouldn't be
surprisedif this got rejected as an OS bug instead of a PSQL one.

-Wyatt

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:27:27 +1000
 "Mark Leet" <thinkingstuff@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi guys,
>
>One of my customers had this problem:
>ERROR: could not open relation 1663/16907/2601: Invalid argument.
>
>So I googled it and came across your discussion on the postgres mail archives:
>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2006-09/msg01270.php
>
>This error seems to be limited to people running PostgreSQL under Windows, but not all of them.
>
>Is there any chance that your anti-virus was the culprit?  Because the error doesn't happen on all machines, I
wonderedout loud what might be different between my machine and my customer's.  Anti-virus was one.  In his anti-virus
program(eTrust EZ Antivirus), he excluded the partition he had PostgreSQL on, and he no longer receives the error.

>I use Symantec Antivirus and don't receive the error.  Another computer was running Computer Associates Antivirus and
hadthe error.  I changed it to Symantec Antivirus and the error no longer appears.

>Next question, how do we get this theory to the bug fixers?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Mark.

Click link below if it is SPAM gsw@globexplorer.com

"https://mailscanner.globexplorer.com/dspam/dspam.cgi?signatureID=456b824a198381804284693&user=gsw@globexplorer.com&retrain=spam&template=history&history_page=1"