Maximum Performance - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jean Huveneers
Subject Maximum Performance
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi,

Within an couple of weeks we will start using PostgreSQL on Mandrake 8.1
in real business (we have been testing, for over a half year).

In future we will have some tables with 100.000+ records an the system
has te work very fast.

I know that speed of querries depend much on the amount of availible RAM
to PostgreSQL, the server will only run the databases. What amount is
RAM is usefull (I meen, does Postgres use the RAM, if availible, up to 2
GB)?

I'm can chose for a Dual Athlon MP on a Tyan Thunder K7 motherbord, but
does PostgreSQL use the 2 processors?

Regards,

Jean Huveneers