Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com> writes:
> So are you calling for a vote or just willing to ask for one?  I vote for
> putting it in contrib and letting whoever wants it apply it and use it.

The trouble with putting it in contrib is that that makes it effectively
unavailable to anyone who installs from RPMs, or otherwise doesn't build
from source for themselves.  Putting a patch diff in contrib is a bad
idea anyway since the patch will suffer bit-rot in no time, as the
referenced files change.

Since the patch is small and doesn't change behavior or performance if
you don't enable the feature, I don't think there's a good reason to
push it off to contrib just because it's ugly.

> The more we discuss it the worse it looks.

I still like the other way better --- but I'm still not prepared to do
the legwork to make it happen, so I have to defer to whatever Bruce is
willing to implement.