Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Mark Wong
Subject Re: Postgres vr.s Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:38 PM, Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/osdldbt/
>>
>> Mark has been maintaining the DBT2 kit for a while now - since he was at OSDL.
>>
>> We've been presenting results -- first some IO tests at Linux Plumbers
>> Conf, and the very beginnings of postgresql tuning results at Pg West.
>>  That's Mark, Gabrielle Roth and me.
>
> That SVN repository hasn't been touched in almost two years. It doesn't even
> work with the current TPC-C datagen without editing the data files.

Please explain further.  TPC doesn't have a tpc-c datagen program like
they do for the H, W, and E.  Otherwise the code in the git repository
appears to be working with 8.3.5.

> What drives me nuts trying to get these kits running is how they have so many
> scripts running other scripts and they all depend on having an environment set
> up with specific users, paths, and environment variables set.

I agree.  I've refactored them a little bit.  But it's not that much better.

> Ideally it would just be a simple binary like pgbench which takes command-line
> options to tell it what to do and can be run without setting up any special
> environment.

Anything after a the The C, E, H, and newer are not likely to be that
simple.  The results will be of limited used without physically
configuring the disks for example, IMHO.

Regards,
Mark