Consider pgmodeler - Re: [GENERAL] Data Modeling Tools - Versionspecific to Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Bullock
Subject Consider pgmodeler - Re: [GENERAL] Data Modeling Tools - Versionspecific to Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
On 02/01/2017 01:35 PM, Greg Slawek wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a data modeling tool (preferably Mac OSX compatible)?
>
> I would like to be sure it can export version specific SQL code (ie 9.1 vs 9.4)

<snip>

I'm very happy with pgmodeler, which I picked up about 6-8 weeks ago. It's an
open source / paid bundle Qt-based app (so in C++) which I'm running on OpenSuSE
42.2 / KDE. See the web site of same name, and associated GITHub project.

AIR, "version specific" DDL generation is a backlog item or partially
implemented. Over all, there are some gaps in function compared to what I'd
like, and occasional fit and finish, BUT it's on par with any of the modeling
tools, including commercial, I've seen over the years, and better than most.
(I've never seen a modeling tool that did everything I'd like, or even robustly
did everything it claimed.)

YMMV - I'm using my design / build effort to get hands' on with postgreSQL's
distinctive features, so haven't exercised pgmodeler over the whole scope of
what it could model and maintain.

--
Jim Bullock, Rare Bird Enterprises, "Conscious Development"
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/rarebirdenterprises

Listen to a round table of experts in these books from Dorset House:
Roundtable on Project Management, http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/rpm.html
Roundtable on Technical Leadership, http://www.dorsethouse.com/books/rtl.html