Re: Local authentication/security - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lange Marcus
Subject Re: Local authentication/security
Date
List pgsql-general

> Lange Marcus wrote:
> >> Not that it matters in your case. The password might as well be
> >> "password" - if they get access to the files/application,
> it's game
> >> over.
> >
> > What about having some of the columns encrypted in the database ?
> > Will that improve things abit ?
>
> Not unless you can keep the key protected. If you prevent
> access to a file containing the key then you can do the same
> to the database and application files.
>

> Can you tell us what you're trying to do? What are you going
> to deploy, and what threats do you want to protect against?

I have some data in an encrypted external dataformat that i wish to
insert into the database and keep some level of protection/security
and prevent/complicate the possibility to read and copy the data, that
is basically it.

Regards Marcus