setting Postgres client - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markova, Nina
Subject setting Postgres client
Date
List pgsql-general
My message didn't get through the 1st time.

-----Original Message-----
From: Markova, Nina
Sent: September 17, 2008 17:33
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Help on setting Postgres client

I have setup a Postgres server (8.2.4) on Solaris 10, for now in the
global zone, with FS :
/pg_db
/pg_log
/pg_data

Now I need to set up a client in a non-global zone on the same machine
or on anoter machine.
Not much luck so far.

What I did:
===========
- on the server in $PGDATA/pg_hub.conf I added a line for the client
host    all         all         192.XXX.XX.XXX        trust

- On the client I tried:
psql sta
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

In my understanding:
- the data and the log file should exist on the server only.
- I should have postgres configuration file somewhere on the client to
at least specify Postgres server ip (PGHOSTTADDR and/or PGHOST), or this
should be set different way?

Questions:
==========
- where to find steps for setting up postgres client?
- what directories and files should I have on the client side?
- should I have local log file on the client?
- how to start postgres on the client - should I specify $PGDATA?
- Should $PGDATA be shared, i.e. mounted by the client, or I have choice
not to? I actually prefer not to be mounted.
- I read that for the client side I should have only 2 of the packages -
SUNWpostgr-libs and SUNWpostgr. All 24 packges for postgres are there -
should I remove the rest?
- where to specify PGHOSTTADDR and/or PGHOST?

Thanks in advance,
Nina

Any practical advices