Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit kapila
Subject Re: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:21 PM Josh Berkus wrote:
Amit,

> I think you can simplify this task by forgetting about parsing the .auto
> file entirely when writing it.  That is, the .auto file should be
> regenerated, and should write out whatever has been set in pg_settings,
> regardless of what was in the file beforehand.  I don't see the value in
> parsing the file before writing it out.
  In that case how the new value of config parameter as set by user, will go in .auto file.  Shall we change in guc,
fromwhere pg_settings take the values?
  Another point is curretly pg_settings doesn't have comments, so user will not be allowed to give comments with new
valueof config parameter.  Is that okay?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.