Re: Estimate on gborg rescue? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Estimate on gborg rescue?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi,
>
> I just checked, and gborg is still dead.  In fact, the hostname is
> no longer valid (there's no A record).  Do we have even an estimate
> for when it will be back?  Can the estimator please publish that
> somewhere in big flashing letters or something?

Yes, Marc posted to -www earlier today.
However, there are now major DNS issues which mean that archives is
unavailable. But once they pop up, you will find it :-) Anyway, I'll
paste it in at the bottom of this mail FYI.

> I can totally appreciate that this is a volunteer project, that
> people have other things happen to them, and that the project
> cannot always be the central issue in people's lives.
> Nevertheless, the gborg site has been down for a long time.  We
> have argued for ages that there is no need to keep things in the
> "core distribution"
> because we have these seamless additional modular components that
> snap together to form a system.  Not much of an argument when
> people can't even get to the sites supporting those additional
> components, because -- oops! -- the site doesn't even exist in DNS.

Yes, this is definitely a big problem.

> On another note, these are listed as authorities for
> postgresql.org:
>
> postgresql.org.         7848    IN      NS      ns-a.lerctr.org.
> postgresql.org.         7848    IN      NS      ns-b.lerctr.org.
>
> But they're not responding with answers or even authority for them.
> So the general DNS is messed up too.

Unable to get at Marc right now, but I believe these issues are much
related. Hosts are dropping out of the hub.org nameservers one by one as
well, probably as TTL expires. It just happens that the full zone has
expired from lerctr.org by now, because for some reason the primary is
broken.
For example, the mirrors.postgresql.org zone (delivering
static.mirrors.postgresql.org which is our main website) is still
answering fine from lerctr - but it runs off a *different* primary
server)

//Magnus