Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit
Date
Re: Installing PostgreSQL on Win 2003 R2 64-bit  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> On 4/27/06, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
> > Yes, if you search the archives there was something on
> this. Maybe it
> > was around 32-bit, but nonetheless, take a search through.
>
> There is a patch in the queue written by Magnus Hagander
> right now which allows pg to build from the microsoft C
> compiler.  In theory, this should allow pg to build 64 bit on
> windows with little or no modifcation.

Just so we're all clear, this patch *only* deals with 32-bit for now. It
lays a foundation for future work on 64-bit, but it makes no attempt at
it yet.

> Either of these approaches could work, but expect to be
> hacking around wierd problems.  There is decent chance pgsql
> will be officially supported on windows as of 8.2, scheduled
> for release this summer.

Um. That's the first I heard 8.2 was scheduled for release this summer.
AFAIK the curernt time-estimate is that it shuld go beta towards the end
of the summer, which means a release sometime Q4 if we follow previous
patterns.

//Magnus