Re: postgresql.org Weblogs? - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: postgresql.org Weblogs?
Date
List pgsql-www
> > Marc,
> >
> >> Sure ... there is nothing confidential in them, just let
> us know what
> >> you want (if you want it) ...
> >
> > Yeah, I thought I'd ask now, because presumably you don't keep the
> > weblogs indefinitely.
>
> Actually ... unless a server crashes so that we lose them, we do ...
> svr1.postgresql (developer) has stuff going back to May 2004
> ... we used ot have www.postgresql.org *way* back before all
> the moving around ...
> pgfoundry.org goes back to May 7th, 2004 ... I'm a pack rat :)

Hmm, IIRC the logs on all the static mirrors are going to /dev/null, for
performance reasons. Specifiaclly the FreeBSD jails couldn't deal with
the write activity. We got like 10-15 times better performance after
disabling it. Got significantly better on the other machines as well
(linux mirrors), but the freebsd jails was the main reason we set up
that policy. With logging enabled, all the servers just fell over. IIRC,
this includes wwwmaster, which we also don't have logs for.

If the data is good enough, go for the pgfoundry ones. Then consider
disabling the logging there as well to see if it helps with the
performance issues ;-) Or use the old logs - I s'pose to test your
systems you don't need "up to date" logs?

//Magnus