Re: Case insensitive usernames - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Case insensitive usernames
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> I would like to see a GUC variable to enable case
>insensitive usernames.
>> Would a patch for such a thing be accepted?
>
>No, not any more than it would be for any other SQL identifiers.  See
>(many, many) past threads.

Yes, I've seen the many past threads on that ;-) I figured it might be
acceptable for just usernames.

Not sure if it's worth it ;-), but perhaps I should clearify what I
mean. I don't actually mean "case insensitive usernames". I mean
case-folding the username to lowercase once it has been received on the
server. Not sure if that makes a difference for you, but at least now
I've explained what I really meant.

Another way to help in this particular case would be to have libpq on
win32 only force-lowercase the username IF it was retreived from the
system (but not when manually specified). Then if this was done the
kerberos username-matching code would just have to be relaxed to be case
insensitive (which it really should be, because AFAIK kerberos is
supposed to be case insensitive), and the system itself can stay case
sensitive. (I still think a generic solution would be better, but this
would solve *my* problems and those of a couple of others I've heard of
who are running on win32)

Would this be acceptable instead?

//Magnus