Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement
Date
Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Increased company involvement  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
> > Actually, if the number of "split files" (whatever their names)
> > increase even further, may I suggest they are moved into a
> subdir of
> > their own, keeping just the main distribution and the
> README about the
> > splits in the main dir?
>
> the "main distribution" will just be
> postgresql-server-<release>.tar.gz

Ok. Then I definitly change my stand from "indifferent" to "strongly
against".

> >>     postgresql-WTKS.tar.gz (with the kitchen sink) file
> that contained
> >> everything for those that really wanted to download "it all" ...
> >
> > That would be "postgresql-x.y.z.tar.gz", right? ;-)
>
> Nope, postgresql-x.y.z.tar.gz will just be the core
> distribution ...the WTKS will be the 'with the kitchen sink'
> meta distribution and would be in the subdir that you propose
> above ... in fact, I doubt that the WTKS will even be ready
> for the next release, as it will involve alot of work on the
> build system itself, I would think ... the 'cascading
> configure's could be interesting in itself ...

Please. *Nobody* will know what postgresql-wkts-x.y.z.tar.gz is. It's
hard enough to understand the splits as they are now (what really is in
-opt for example? I know it's in the readme, but users don't read that),
and this will certainly not make it easier.

And please absolutely do *NOT* rip anything out of the main one until
the replacement is ready!

> > Bottom line - make it easy for the *newbies*. Those of us who know
> > exactly what we want will know where to look for it (say in
> a separate
> > subdir). (or we'll just download the whole tarball anyway
> because that
> > is *way* much more convenient... Speaking for myself there, of
> > course.)
>
> Note that "the whole tar ball" will give you the core server
> and that is it ... the WTKS is a whole seperate project from
> what is being planned ...
>
> What is being worked on right now is effectively reducing
> things down to:
>
> postgresql-server (including libpq)
> postgresql-<insert add on here>

Um. So instead of as I do today:
wget
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/databases/relational/postgresql/source/v8.0.2/po
stgresql-8.0.2.tar.bz2
tar xjf postgresql-8.0.2.tar.bz2
./configure --with-perl --with-python --with-tcl
gmake && gmake install

I'll now have to do:
wget
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/databases/relational/postgresql/source/v8.0.2/po
stgresql-docs-8.0.2.tar.bz2
tar xjf postgresql-docs-8.0.2.tar.bz2
./configure
gmake && gmake install

wget
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/databases/relational/postgresql/source/v8.0.2/po
stgresql-test-8.0.2.tar.bz2
tar xjf postgresql-test-8.0.2.tar.bz2
./configure
gmake && gmake install

wget
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/databases/relational/postgresql/source/v8.0.2/po
stgresql-plperl-8.0.2.tar.bz2
tar xjf postgresql-plperl-8.0.2.tar.bz2
./configure
gmake && gmake install

wget
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/databases/relational/postgresql/source/v8.0.2/po
stgresql-plpython-8.0.2.tar.bz2
tar xjf postgresql-plpython-8.0.2.tar.bz2
./configure
gmake && gmake install

wget
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/databases/relational/postgresql/source/v8.0.2/po
stgresql-pltcl-8.0.2.tar.bz2
tar xjf postgresql-pltcl-8.0.2.tar.bz2
./configure
gmake && gmake install

Remind me again how this is actually *better*, and not just making life
a whole lot worse for me? And more specifically, for a new user that
doesn't know which files to download already, and will just grab the
default file.

Pulling the interfaces out of the main tarball was bad enough, but it
had point - ODBC and JDBC need to work with different versions, and may
be released as different times. Please don't do the same for PLs.

//Magnus