Re: Please change link to pginstaller - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Please change link to pginstaller
Date
List pgsql-www

> > > the 1st paragraph.
> > > it's NOT mirrored.
> > >
> > > I have purchased a stack of
> pginstaller.org/.com/.net/.info domain
> > > names to help promote this project. I can probably set up
> a mirror
> > > to provide downloads for the installer as well.
> > > Can I get some idea of the download rates so I know how much
> > > bandwidth to purchase?
> >
> > I think it's better to direct downloads to the standard
> way. It gives
> > us download tracking ;-), and it also makes it appear more as "the
> > official postgresql installer" (which I beleive it is).
>
> I believe that pginstaller is totally buried on pgfoundry.
> And as others pointed out, there are load/bandwidth
> considerations. I can do download tracking for you and I will
> have a few hundred GB/month bandwidth.
>
> What I have in mind is a single page with promotional
> material, links to screen shots, a link to download the most
> recent version and a link to the pgfoundry page for more
> information. The only annoying bit is keeping the page up to
> date with the latest version. Its not a huge problem but.
>
> What do you think?

I think you are missing my point ;-)

I don't think we should differentiate the pginstaller too much from
postgresql. Which is why I think it should be on the main site. I like
the promotional stuff, but I'd like to see that on the main page as
well.

If it's ther, it will automatically be mirrored along with the rest of
the main site, which should by far have enuogh bandwidth. And I'm
talking about the download tracking Dave did for the main site, not the
pgFoundry download tracking.

I'm all for getting the main parts off pgfoundry (that includes
redirecting pginstaller.projects.postgresql.org if necessary - probably
will be), but I think it's better to move it to the main site than to
set up Yet Another Site. IMHO, there are too many different pg sites
already. AFAIK the plan was to make them less (folding advocacy etc into
the main site, for example). It just seems wrong to create yet another
one.

//Magnus