Re: Thoughts on the mirroring system etc - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Thoughts on the mirroring system etc
Date
List pgsql-www
>As an aside, I'm not convinced that we have to go the db
>replication route.
>AFAIK the php website doesn't use any db replication, instead
>relying on one
>central server for submitting comments and some apache/php magic to do
>automagic mirror redirection.  I don't see any reason we can't
>use that
>scheme.

Depends on how much you want in the database. If that machine goes down
or off the net, everything relying on the db will go down. Right now,
that includes the ftp downloads, because they are going through the
download counter. It also includes new events, survey responses etc,
which are much less of a loss if they go down.

Same for redirection - if the redundancy is based on redirection only,
everything falls apart if the redirector goes down. It can help get the
bandwidth down, but I just don't see that as the main problem.

//Magnus