Re: Problem with win32 installer for PG 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Problem with win32 installer for PG 8.0
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hi,
> I installed beta 2 a couple of months ago, and today I
> installed RC 5 and it seems there is no way to tell the
> installer where to actually install, so I could not re use my
> data cluster from the beta 2(with out renaming the directory
> to the same name as what the installer would install).
>
> I am not sure it this is a limitation of the MSI installer or
> it was just overlooked.

The releasenotes clearly state that you need to do a dump/reload if you
are upgrading from a version prior to beta5.

As for telling it where to install, please see the FAQ. It is certainly
possible, and always has been. Only the default has changed.

> Also why do all the PG projects insist on using M$ installer
> technology?  A better choice would be Inno Setup at
> http://www.jrsoftware.org.  It's a ton easier to use and
> would be a better choice than msi.

You are clearly not administering a large environment... In such an
environment, you generally do not prefer innosetup or any other
homebrewn setup. MSIs support for shared components, rollbacks,
uninstallations, plugin into management systems etc is a clear win
there.
(And I, and a lot of ppl I've spoken to, certainly prefer MSI by far for
my personal machine as well)

In what way would this be easier to use and a better choice than MSI?

//Magnus