Re: Technical question for a journalist - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Technical question for a journalist
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> Hi list,
>
> No need to send out the press release :-), I was alreday
> grilled half an hour by a French journalist about v8. He had
> apparently read an interview of Marc Fournier somewhere.
>
> Anyway, the journalist had a question about tablespaces. I
> told him it enabled clustering on individual disks or arrays
> of disks. The journalist then said that this seemed like a
> rather basic feature and was surprised that PostgreSQL wasn't
> already able to do that in the previous versions. Is that
> indeed the case or was there another clustering mechanism before?

You could do it pre-8.0 but it required manual hacking with symlinks.
Which also required you to do extra symlinks if/when yuor table grew
into several files etc. And you had to shut down the server to do it.
(If you wanted individual items in the same db that is. You could put
entire databases on a separate disk and not nede to do the extra linking
when it grew)

//Magnus