Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Time to work on Press Release 8.0
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
>How do we continue to 'bridge the gap', so to say?
>
>pginstaller does, I think, a good job of it on the Windows
>platform, by
>giving one interface to pull in multiple 'tools' ... any way
>of mirroring
>this sort of thing in Unix?

Dunno about that. pginstaller uses the Windows Installer service, which
is the standard on windows for installing software. The same thing on
Linux would be RPM or DEB or whatever the distro uses. And I guess ports
on freebsd (not having experience with that platform, can't be sure).
The problem is that they don't provide the same kind of tweaking that
Windows Installer does (for good and for bad).

I guess someone could write a "RPM frontend" that would allow for easy
picking of which RPMs to install, and then some scripting around it to
set passwords, install PLs, change settings etc in an interactive
manner. But it'd certainly have to be quite different for each different
platform. But it certainly could be done.

There's also the issue of "vendor RPMs" vs "pg RPMs". I haven't
installed pg from RPM for ages (alwys do source builds myself), so that
may be solved by now, but it used to be a bit of a bother back then.

//Magnus