Re: initdb crash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers-win32

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: initdb crash
Date
List pgsql-hackers-win32
>> It will require READ permissions on the system directories,
>as well as
>> all the subdirs of the install directory (including bin, lib etc).
>>

>I guess this is another area that will have to be carefully
>explained to the Win32 user as
>a consequence of not allowing Administrator to run initdb/postmaster.
>
>I still don't see whats wrong with running as Administrator as
>long as TCPIP comms is
>not enabled. It should be possible to restrict connection only
>from the local PC if running
>as Administrator. This should not pose any security threat, should it?

Can't run without TCPIP on win32...

Anyway. It is a security threat in the way that it helps an indirect
attack. Say a SQL injection attack would suddenly give you local admin
instead of just an unpriv account. A lot better place to get started if
you want to take over a server...

//Magnus