Re: Table Spaces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Table Spaces
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>(I believe
>replace it.
>Also, I think
>>>>

>>>Windows 2000 and later support mount points - you can attach a new
>>>partition as C:\pgsql\data\xlog instead of D:\. That might
>be enough for
>>>most users. IIRC there was a tool to create arbitrary links,
>but it was
>>>removed just before W2K final.
>>>

>>If you run NTFS, it's still possible to use arbitrary links.
>In the Windows
>>world, they are called junctions. Microsoft does not provide
>a junction tool
>>for some reason (perhaps because it's limited to NTFS). A
>good tool, free
>>and with source, can be found here
>>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/misc.shtml#junction
>I use this tool
>>myself. Works like a charm.
>>

>We've looked at it before. Apart from anything else I don't think its
>license is compatible with PostgreSQL's.

Well, people can still use it. We just can't distribute it... We can
always link to it.
But unless there is a GUI tool (actually, unless it shows up in the
*default* GUI tool), expect there to be questions. An

>Also, IIRC NTFS junctions also have some severe limitations.

The main being they can't do files, and there are few tools for them.
Also, most win32 admins are *NOT* experienced with them. Sure, they are
used for the NETLOGON directory, but how many admins know that...

//Magnus