Re: Fedora 16 note... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Levan
Subject Re: Fedora 16 note...
Date
List pgsql-general
On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:56 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On 11/10/2011 11:10 PM, Jerry Levan wrote:
>> I upgraded to Fedora 16 yesterday…
>>
>> I thought I might have lost my 12 year old db when the system came up
>> and I noticed the 9.1 had overwrote the old binaries.
>
> ... of course, you keep regular backups so you weren't too worried anyway.... right?

Not that I am paranoid or anything but I keep manually maintained clones on three other
machines that are backed up via time machine to my NAS and I superduper the macs to
separate disks. I also semi-periodically rsync many directories on the Fedora box to a
separate disk. Dblink makes the manually cloning of the tables an easy task.

I have written a bunch of tools to access postgresql, sorta like a PgAdmin light
( http://homepage.mac.com/levanj )

>> Then I read about pg_upgrade stuff and it worked!
>
> Good to hear. I tend to dump and reload between versions as I have fairly small data, but it's good to hear people
gettingsuccessful use out of pg_upgrade.

>> I found that postgresql would not start at boot time until
>> I did:
>>
>> systemctl enable postgresql.service
>
> That's Fedora policy: don't start a service unless the user asks for it to be started.

This is the first time I have had to manually enable a service like postgresql and httpd
since Fedora 4. I guess this is mostly from the systemd take over...