Re: [GENERAL] Help with restoring a dump in Tar format?(dependencies/ordering) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Help with restoring a dump in Tar format?(dependencies/ordering)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/05/2017 05:15 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> Thanks Adrian and David.  That all makes sense, and I gather the answer
> regarding the existing dumps is "no, they can't be restored."  So be
> it.  Here's a couple of follow-on comments::
>
>     Ideally figure out how to write an actual FK constraint - otherwise
>     use triggers.
>

> I can't really make this an FK.  I can (and probably will) put this into
> a trigger.  Although it seems like an extra layer of wrapping just to
> call a function.  I'm curious if there's any conceptual reason why
> constraints couldn't (as an option) be restored after all the data is
> loaded, and whether there would be any negative consequences of that?  I
> could see if your data still didn't pass the CHECKs, it's already
> loaded.  But the constraint could then be marked not valid?

Not sure why just know that if I stay within the guidelines it works, if
I do not its does not work:)

>     -1; pg_dump should not be trying to restore things.​  The core
>     developers shouldn't really concern themselves with the various and
>     sundry ways people might want to setup such a process.  You have
>     tools for dump, and tools for restore, and you can combine them in
>     whatever fashion you deem useful.  Or otherwise acquire someone
>     else's ideas.
>

> I get that as a general principle.  OTOH, being able to restore your
> backups isn't just a random or inconsequential feature.  I have access
> to the superuser and can create DBs, but users in more locked down
> scenarios might not be able to do so.

See that, but in your scenario you wanted to create a 'scratch' database
so you are back to a user with privileges.  Then there is the whole
overhead of doing a restore twice. Basically, if you have no way to test
your backup/restore procedure before hand you are flying blind.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com