Re: [GENERAL] Unable to start postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Unable to start postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/08/2017 07:44 AM, John Iliffe wrote:
> See embedded.
>

>> Just to be clear you installed in:
>>
>> /usr/postgres-9.6.2
>
> yes, and the expected directories /usr/postgres-9.6.2/bin, /include, /lib,
> and /share are all there.
>>
>> but created the data directory in:
>>
> /usr/pgsql_tablespaces
>
> Yes, I did that to separate the data from the software in case I decide to
> update postgresql in the future.  That way I can always revert if
> necessary.

FYI, not that a separate data directory is a problem, but if you are
updating from one major version to another that is not going to work as
the new version will not be able to use the old data directory and if
you do convert it using something like pg_upgrade then the old version
will not be able to use it.

>> Also above you say:
>>
>> "I was unable to get postgres started so I did a very basic
>> compile/install to test it. "
>>

> Yes, with no changes except the --prefix in the config file I was assured that
> I wasn't causing this problem with a badly chosen parameter.

So did you specify a different --prefix previously or just used the
defaults?

>> To me that implies there is another instance of Postgres on the system,
>> is that the case?
>>
> No other instances of Postgres on the system.  Since it wasn't working I
> deleted the original installation by deleting the install directory.

How about the data directory?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com