Re: Postgres for SQL Server users - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brent Wood
Subject Re: Postgres for SQL Server users
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Igal,

One relevant comment I found interesting a couple of years ago...

A New Zealand Govt agency was installing an institutional GIS system (several thousand potential users). It supported different back-end spatial databases. Previous installs of this system for other clients had used MS SQL Server, this was the first that was installed on a Postgres/Postgis back end.

As it was about to go into action as a live, production system, I was speaking to one of the team doing the installation, and asked how they had found working with Postgres instead of SQL Server. The reply was worth a few formal benchmarks:

"It's so easy to connect to and sh*t it's fast!"

Might be a useful comment for your presentation :-) A few years on & it is still working fine...

Cheers...

  Brent Wood